(Verbatim from http://www.enactusiitd.org )
ENACTUS is an international organization that brings together the top leaders of today and tomorrow to create a better and more sustainable world through the positive power of business. Enactus operates in the form of student teams on campuses around the world, working on sustainable projects with the objective of creating economic opportunity for others.
Every Enactus project has the following three components:
- Entrepreneurial: Having the perspective to see an opportunity and the talent to create value from that opportunity;
- Action: The willingness to do something and commitment to see it through even when the outcome is not guaranteed;
- Us: A group of people who see themselves connected in some important way; people who are part of a greater whole.
Enactus IIT Delhi is the IIT Delhi student chapter of Enactus.
What is Project Aanch?
TL;DR: A project to manufacture and sell smokeless stoves.
Residents of Bhatti Mines rely on firewood and use extremely inefficient ‘stove’ that is typical to the rural India. A crude structure with one or more sides open for insertion of firewood, that can hold a small vessel. An estimated 826 million Indians depend on these simple cook stoves that burn solid fuel, mainly fuelwood or coal. (Source)
These stoves are extremely energy inefficient, result in a lot of Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monooxide, Black carbon (soot) emissions. All of these contribute to global warming, and with over 800 million users on a daily basis, the issue demands attention. Estimated 1 billion tonnes of carbon dioxie equivalent gases can be avoided by using better stoves. It would also reduce the deaths from respiratory infections, heart disease, bronchitis, pneumonia and tuberculosis. When you are talking about changing India, numbers are your enemy. A statistician will understand.
But it all begins with a small effort. Many such efforts have been made. Project Aanch is yet another efficient stove campaign.
What makes Project Aanch different?
It is not a campaign distributing/selling stoves. It is an attempt at making entrepreneurs. Enactus IITD will train women from Bhatti Mines to make smokeless stoves, and assist in establishing a business.
What can I do to help?
- Donate, if you can.
- Spread the word.
What will the money be used for?
(Verbatim from project page on wishberry)
- To buy two more Philips cook-stove mould that would enable us to double the rate of production of cook-stoves and expand in other communities. One mould costs Rs 26500 approximately.
- As we are serving customers at Bottom of the Pyramid, the relatively limited buying capacity of the poor makes it tougher for us to generate profits for the women. Thus, to expand the market and increase the adoption rate, we would be testing two models:
- Selling stoves through EMI: We need money to maintain the buffer amount needed to sustain the installment plan.
- Subsidizing Stoves: The current selling price of Rs 1200 is out of range for the community. We will subsidize this by Rs 500 so that they can afford it.
I will receive my first salary today. I will do my part.